Friday, July 15, 2011

Playing in the Mud Again!

I have been trying out the new Mudbox the last few days. I was really interested in the ability to paint in layers.

I had a lot of fun making this alien head. i just started out with the package bases head and used the "send to Maya" feature to make new UVs and add geometry to the bottom of the mesh.


I really like the real-time screen space filters that Mudbox has. It took me some time to get used to the brushes and where everything is but over all there are some really nice improvements in the program compared to the last time I used it. Painting specular on your model in real time was a real treat. I baked out and Ambient Occlusion pass using their extract maps tool and the quality was really good, the speed was fast. Way easier to do than Maya.

Peace-NickZ. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the other things u can do while texturing is extracting the normal map nd then applying it on the lowres mesh. Mudbox allows you to view the details projected through normal maps in realtime....

Hence u can import a lowres mesh nd apply the normal map nd paint on it with all the details visible...

NickZ. said...

Kanishk,

Thanks for the heads up. I tried this out and it works very well! I'm still trying to figure out how to free up more memory for painting more paint layers. After I get about 5 layers at 4096X4096 my computer starts to bog. I guess I need to try smaller maps where it makes sense.