Monday, April 9, 2018

Concerting In ZBrush (Getting Started)

This learning series is geared toward new ZBrush users who have never used the program before and would like to learn quite a few of the sculpting tools along with various ways to create geometry.

Please visit my Youtube playlist to see all the videos in the series.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Here is a new time-lapse video recorded in ZBrush, main tools used were standard brush, dam standard, claytubes, move brush and various custom brushes with alpha shapes. Music by Xerxes - "Let It Go." I also used some of these brushes as well!/page14

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Here is the latest update. I now have all the Substance Painter texturing done now. Now it is time to move it into UE4. I am having fun with Sketchfab so I decided to load everything there as well.

I also uploaded the Hammer.
And the Staff.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

High Quality Characters In VR Update 7

Here is some of the latest work on the painting on the Tortosaur in Substance Painter:

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

3D Printed Character Update 02

Printing and Cleaning/Painting The Parts

So this was a process, printing for all the parts was done on a PLA Extrusion 3D Printer. The head had some problems under the chin area, so I had to re-sculpt that area using Super Sculpey. All the other parts had some support structures on them that I used a demel tool to cut away and excess material and then used a fin grit sand paper to sand away any problem areas.

For the Chest I used a SLA 3D Printer, there were quite a few print failures due to machine problems, in the end I ended up using the best print out of the bunch and ended up re-sculpting the areas that did not print correctly.

After all the parts were re-sculpted, I used a heat gun to spot heat the new areas of clay, I had to be careful not to overheat areas because the heat could start to melt the plastic from the PLA printed parts.

Once all part were prepared, I used an airbrush with grey acrylic paint to paint all the parts a flay grey color with a nice gloss on the paint to pick up some highlights. I then put the character onto a small base and took photographs of the piece.

Click On Images To See Larger Views

All and all I am fairly happy with the results, I do feel like this has given me a good base to work with, there are still some areas that I would like to re-sculpt, but in all honesty, I would really like for all the parts to be printed on the SLA printer (Formlabs) This printed gives you the highest fidelity. The only problem is that we have had so many print failures with the Form 1 and Form 1 +. I am hopeful that most of the printing problems have been fixed with the new FormLabs 2 printer.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Robot Sketches for the night

Robot Sketches for the night

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Some Fun Sketching In Photoshop

Some Fun Sketching In Photoshop 

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Late Night Doodle

I had some time last night to make a little doodle in Photoshop.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

3D Printed Character Update 01

I created this little guy to teach some of my students how to model in Maya, then push those meshes into ZBrush and finish detailing. I created a special version of the model that is 3D print ready and hollowed out the model to get it ready for print.

All parts are prepared and ready to go. I had to use a special feature in dynamesh and negative insert meshes in order to get the shell thickness for the model. In order to do this process just go to a part of the model that you want to punch the hole out of and use B (Brush Menu)>J (Insert Cube) and then hold down the alt key as you draw the cube out. You might want to use transpose master to readjust the cube slightly. Once the negative cube is in place it is time for your to add your shell thickness. Go to the tool menu Tool>Geometry>Dynamesh>Create Shell (You will need to adjust the thickness of the shell using the Thickness slider. I was using a value of 32 for my thickness.) No the only thing left is to decimate the models and scale the appropriately. I was going for a target of around 1 - 1.5 million polys for each printed part. At the size I was printing anything else would be overkill.